DESERT TOUR FROM MARRAKECH TO ZAGORA & MERZOUGA DUNES
Tour itinerary: 4 Days Morocco Desert Tour from Marrakech To Zagora & Merzouga
Day 1: Marrakech – Ait Ben Haddou Kasbah – Ouarzazate – Draa Valley – Zagora
This Morocco desert tour from Marrakech is a fusion of 2 separate tours that mixes the highlights of two magnificent desert areas, Zagora and Erg Chebbi. We will leave Marrakech behind at around 8 am in an air conditioned vehicle to cross the High Atlas Mountains to reach the first stop on the list, Ait Benhaddou Kasbah. We will follow that with a visit to the Hollywood of Africa Ouarzazate where famous movies like Son of God were shot. We will finally be crossing Draa valley to reach the desert town of Zagora. There we will ride our camels and start a trek into the dunes of Tizi or Nakhla at sunset. The camels will transport us to our Berber desert camp where we will have time to meet and talk to other guests. After that, we will enjoy a warm Berber dinner around the campfire while we listen to the Berber folk telling stories and playing local drum music. After this moment of entertainment we have the option to either retire to private bivouacs or to sleep under the star studded sky of the Sahara.
Day 2: Zagora – Ouarzazate – Dades Valley
Following an early breakfast and a chance to admire the sunrise,we will back to Zagora on our camels ride. Once there we will start driving to Ouarzazate ( the Gateway to the real Desert ),for lunch and to switch vehicles for the remainder of the tour. Along the way we will cross the breathtaking Valley of Roses to Dades Valley,with some of the winding roads, steep golden cliffs and beautiful river,we will arrive in dades gorges late afternoon where we spend the night at the hotel with private rooms and bathrooms with dinner and breakfast included.
Day 3: Dades Valley -Todra Gorge – Erg Chebbi dunes
Following breakfast in the hotel we will head to Todra Gorge to enjoy the natural beauty of the gorge that has been carved by the Dades River into the red stone and to have lunch as well before visiting Rissani and making our way to Merzouga. At Merzouga we will camel trek through the dunes of Erg Chebbi (the highest in the country) to a Berber camp site for another traditional Berber night of delicious food and entertainment before sleeping in our tents.
Day 4: Merzouga – Draa valley – Ouarzazate – Marrakech
We will trek back to the hotel in Merzouga for breakfast and a small break before heading back to Marrakech via Draa Valley, Ouarzazate and the High Atlas Mountains. We will reach Marrakech by 7 pm and you will be dropped at the hotel of your choice to end your 4 days desert trip from Marrakech.
Shared 4 Days Marrakech Desert Tour to Zagora & Merzouga
- Cross the High Atlas Mountains with its majestic Tizi-N-Tichka.
- Visit the world heritage site of Ait Benhaddou Kasbah.
- Visit Todra gorges.
- Visit Draa Valley.
- Ride a camel in Erg Chebbi.
- Spend the night at a Berber desert camp in Zagora & Merzouga.
- Visit Ouarzazate with its Kasbah of Taourirt.
- Pick up from your Marrakech riad/hotel on the tour day (or the closest accessible point to your riad).
- A/C modern minibus driven by an English & French speaking driver/guide (Maximum of 16 passengers).
- Overnight at a Sahara Desert camp in Zagora & Erg Chebbi including dinner and breakfast.
- One night at hotel in Dades Valley including dinner and breakfast.
What to bring for the tour
- Hat, sunglasses and sunscreen cream.
- Comfortable Jeans or trousers for the camel trekking.
- Camera & phone chargers.
- Warm clothes in winter season.
What’s not included
- Beverage & Lunch expenses.
- Personal expenses.
- Local guide in Ait Benhaddou Kasbah (2 Euros per person – Optional).